Friday, January 22, 2016

Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie




I don't have a large repertoire of cookie recipes.  In fact, I rarely bake them.  Of course during the holidays I pull out my festive cookie recipes and go to town, but other than that, not so much.  So lately I've been wanting to find a good chocolate chip cookie recipe that wasn't super doughy or filled with a bunch of big chunks of stuff.  I just wanted a basic chocolate chip cookie that was a little crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside, and I've found it.  I was reading a few articles on how tweaking certain ingredients affects taste and texture, so played around a bit and found what I was looking for in a cookie.

I started with the most popular chocolate chip cookie recipe, the Nestle Toll House.  I think they are a tad too doughy, too sweet and not enough nuts.  So I adjusted a few things and came up with this.... Of course you can omit the nuts, and I do when it's going to be just for Mr. Housewife and the twinadoes.

Recipe:
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
  • 2/3 c. granulated sugar
  • 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
  • 1 1/4 c. chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 375 F
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Slowly add in flour mixture. With a spoon, stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets (I like to use parchment paper on my baking sheets).
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown, but don't let them get too browned or they will have a burnt taste.  Transfer them to a cooling rack.  After they have cooled, put them in an airtight container.  Will keep for several days, but these are so good they won't be around that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment