Saturday, July 16, 2016

Pickled Eggs, and then some....



Oh my goodness, I think I have found my new favorite snack.  It's been over a year since I made pickled eggs and clearly I had forgotten how amazing they are.  Of course I had to look up a recipe, and found hundreds, so in usual Real Housewife fashion I did a combo of a few to get the results I wanted. 

For one, there are no beets in this recipe, but I did use beet powder to get the red color, totally optional of course.  Also, most recipes either called for white or apple cider vinegar, well I used both.  I only did one dozen to make sure it was going to be something I liked, and it was.

For the Recipe:
12 boiled eggs
1 red onion, cut into rings
12 radishes, cut into slices (not too thin)
1 1/2 c. white vinegar
1 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. beet powder (optional)
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 heaping tbsp. coriander seeds
1 heaping tbsp. peppercorns (I used the rainbow mix, but you could use plain black)
1 tbsp. fennel seeds
1-3 hot peppers, depending on how spicy you like it (jalepeno, cayenne, serrano, whatever you have)

I used a quart jar for these and it fit great. 

Put a four eggs in the jar, then 1/3 of the onion rings, and lastly 1/3 of the radishes.  Repeat two more times and set in the fridge.  In a saucepan heat the remaining ingredients (except for the 1 cup of ice water) until they come to a simmer.  Take off the heat and let steep for 10 minutes.  Cool the mixture with 1 cup of ice water. 

When cool, pour over the eggs, onions and radishes, put back in the fridge.  Let sit for at least 6 hours, overnight is definitely best.  I totally get how people can't stop eating these, I had to try them a couple hours after I made them, they were good but really taste better after sitting overnight.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment