Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Chile Relleno Souffle (Casserole)

DSC_1723

Chile rellenos are one of my favorite items to order when we hit a Mexican restaurant.  They are so delicious and kind of a pain to make.  The other day I picked up some poblano peppers with every intention of making actual chile rellenos, but alas, I just didn’t feel like it.  I’ve seen recipes for chile relleno casserole, most used canned chiles and looked kind of, well, gross.  One of the reasons they just didn’t look good to me was the flatness of them, they just looked like creamy eggs with peppers.  So, why not use the same batter I would when I fry them in the oven?  Sure sounded like a good idea to me, and it was.  This puffed up like a soufflé, hence the name, and was every bit as delicious as it was pretty.

DSC_1718 DSC_1720

I no longer have a barbeque and my stove top is electric so I had to roast the poblanos in the oven.  Super simple, put them in a preheated 400 degree oven.  Turn them every 15 minutes or so until they have blistered on all side, they will also deflate.  Place them in a plastic bag to cool, then when you can skin and de-seed them.
For the Recipe:
1 1/2 c. enchilada sauce, or you can purchase canned
6 poblano chiles, roasted, skinned and de-seeded
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 c. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
4 eggs, separated
2 tbsp. flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  To start, I like to prepare the egg mixture so I can just shred cheese while the egg whites are beating.  In a mixer add the egg whites, beat until they form stiff peaks.  In a separate bowl, break up the egg yolks.  Fold the flour and egg yolks into the egg whites, set aside.  In an 8 x 11 baking dish put about 1/2 c. of the enchilada sauce.  Next place a layer of the chiles, followed by a layer of the egg mixture (take care to no spread it too much or you will deflate them), next a generous layer of the Monterey jack cheese.  Repeat chiles, egg, and cheese.
DSC_1721

Top with the cheddar cheese and the remainder of the enchilada sauce.

DSC_1722

Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment