Saturday, May 7, 2016

Mother's Day



Tomorrow is Mother's Day, there will be cards made my little hands, jewelry purchased by adoring husbands, flowers, breakfasts in bed, brunches at fancy restaurants, and so much more.  But for some, there will be nothing.  Some really don't mind, but others, they will say they don't mind, but they do. 

The past week I've asked several of my friends that are moms (mostly with non adult children) what they think they will get or have done for them on this oh so magical day and responses varied.  The majority said they will get gifts, breakfast/brunch and cards (the best was a duck).  A few said nothing or they weren't sure, and I could tell it made them a little sad.  So of course I had to dig more into this....

This morning Mr. Housewife is going on a "secret mission" to pick something up for me, sadly not the mini cow I was hoping for.  And though I don't expect a gift I have to say it's kind of nice to be thought of.  It's tough being a mom and an extra day of "thanks" is always nice. 

With younger kids (non driving, non job having) it pretty much falls on the husband/spouse/partner to get the gifts, but that doesn't always happen.  Some have the view of "she's not my mom so not my problem".  On one hand I get that, but on the other, I think it's actually kind of a dick move (yes I said that).  Like I said before, it's tough being a mom, whether you are a stay at home or a working mom, it's challenging.  For a spouse to take the "not my problem" is sad, it doesn't take much for them to say "hey, thanks for being the mom to my kids".  Yes, it's just some random day, and to be honest, they should be thankful everyday that you are the mom to their kids (I do think it goes the other way as well, just focusing on moms this time). 

Honor your mother first, but give the mother of your children a special moment as well, and not some forced "here's your gift, thank goodness I didn't forget".  I almost thing those are worse than forgetting all together.

When my son has a family, I hope he honors the mother of his children as well as me. Give her this cheesy holiday to make her feel extra special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment