Monday, May 2, 2016

Shopping With My Peeps

Without a doubt I absolutely love where I live, however, there is absolutely zero Asian stores in my town.  One of the local grocery stores stocks a fair amount of basic items, but not enough to keep me satiated.  Last night I headed to one of my favorite stores, H-Mart, to stock up on some much needed items.

Many people have told me they get intimidated when they go into Asian stores, they have no clue what things are or if the employees will speak English.  Well.... yes, if you are new to Asian cooking and stores it will seem a tad much, but if after a few trips you will be an old pro.  As for the English, that is hit and miss, more likely a miss.  But don't let that stop you, besides, they are friendly and will try to work with you to figure out your question.

No for last night's shopping trip....

Do you see the price on that ginger?  When I have to buy it at the normal grocery store I have seen it go as high as $7.99/lb. and I will refuse to purchase it.  Even this is a pretty darn good price, normally it hovers around a dollar and change, but still not even close to what the mainstream stores charge.  I should have taken more pictures of the vegetables but it was incredibly busy and it seemed like everything I wanted to take a picture of had people in front of it, so I've taken pictures of some of the produce I brought home. 





You will find more types of greens in an Asian market than you've ever seen in your life, some you probably have never heard of.  Above are the bitter melon, Asian okra, baby bok choy and Japanese eggplants I bought.  You can also find a lot of the same vegetables you would in the "normal" grocery stores, like lettuce, cabbage (many varieties), cucumbers, potatoes, etc... 


Mushrooms, oh the glorious mushrooms.  These king trumpets are one of my favorite, they are a meaty mushroom with a nice flavor.  Not only do they have several fresh varieties of mushrooms but in the dried mushroom aisle you will find even more.

Look at these gorgeous Korean melons.  The fruit is amazing, my kids have been eating so many different fruits since they were babies.  Thing 2 was disappointed when we went to our local grocery store and there were not dragon fruits for her.... my poor girl.

Did somebody say tofu?  Yet another item that you will be amazed at the variety, there's actually way more than just those little cartons you find in your local store.  There's fried, dried, pressed, you name it. 








The freezer section is another treasure.  The dumpling selection will make your head spin, most are pretty darn good too.  Fish cakes in every size, not sure what to do with them, look on the internet and you will find so many recipes.  This stuff is beyond delicious and so versatile.  It can be used in soups, with rice, sautéed, you name it.  Want to have a fun egg roll making party?  You are in luck, wrappers in every size for every type of roll can be found.  There's also quite the selection of meat and seafood.  Soft shelled crabs anyone?  My beloved tocino, so many options!!!

I wanted to be sure to point out one of my favorite short cuts I buy, frozen seafood mixes.  This particular one was 28 ounces for about $8.  It has a mix of shrimp, clams, fish, crabs and a few other goodies.  I use it when I'm making soups, such an easy way to go.





Don't feel like cooking it yourself?  Head to the deli (some of the smaller markets won't have one) and pick up some sushi, kimchi, fried fish, so many different dishes.

Luckily I only have to travel about 30 minutes to get to an Asian store, not sure what in the world I would do if I didn't have that luxury.  Easily half of what I prepare at home is Asian, it's what I was raised on and what my family likes.  People tell me all the time how they think it's too difficult or they can't get the ingredients, but with the internet's expansive recipes on Asian food and the internet, pretty much any ingredient can be found.  But if you are lucky enough to have an Asian market then you need to make a point to visit, and take your time.  Look at all their offerings, ask questions and talk to other shoppers, you will be amazed at some of the tips you can get from them.






No comments:

Post a Comment